Common Questions & Spray Tan Tips
- How do I prep for my session?
Exfoliate 24 hours prior to your session. Do not exfoliate the day of as the product can create a skin barrier effecting the outcome of your tan. Any scrub is acceptable to use. Exfoliation is important so the skin can be an even canvas and will help your tan last longer.
Do any shaving or waxing at least 24 hours before your session. If you shave right before it can cause streaking on the legs.
Do pedicures the day before your session. If you do it right before the massage oils will cause a problem with the tan. If you do a pedicure after your spray tan it will remove the self-tan from your feet and the massage oil can cause the color to streak.
Do not apply any perfumes, oils or lotions or deodorant to your skin the day of the tan. They can cause developmental issues.
Do not shower right before your session. I know you think that “clean skin” is good but many soaps, hair conditioners and shower products leave an invisible film on the skin. This can cause the spray tan to develop patchy or streaky. And do NOT use dove soap before your tanning session, this always causes issues as well. Showering right before your session will hydrate the skin which means that all of the spray tan solution will not be absorbed. This will result in a lighter color.
- Is spray tanning safe?
Yes. The active ingredient is DHA (dihydroxyacetone) and is approved by the FDA for external use. It is the active ingredient in all self-tanners.
Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is derived from sugar beets or cane sugar and is a key active ingredient for natural self-tanners. The skin-browning effect is the result of a nontoxic chemical reaction between DHA and the amino acids which are part of the keratinous layer of the skin’s surface, much like the browning effect in food caramelization. The resulting color is called melanoidins, similar in color to the melanins our bodies produce naturally when exposed to UV rays.
DHA creates a more naturally-looking tan, and fades more evenly, than chemical tanners and is now considered the most effective sunless tanning ingredient. It is also considered the safest form of tanning over chemically-derived self-tanners and sun exposure. The tan will fade gradually over the course of 3-10 days. (Wiki)
Origin: Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is obtained by the fermentation of certain sugars, like sugar cane and beet sugars.
- What do I wear to my session?
Wear a dark colored swimsuit or undergarments. The tanning solution will wash off but in some cases can stain light colored garments. You can wear as much or as little as you want to your session. Discretion is followed and your comfort is my main priority. Men must wear bottoms no exceptions
- How long until the tan develops
You will see instant color due to the cosmetic bronzer however the actual tan takes 9-12 hours to fully develop. With the regular tan option you cannot sweat or get wet until that time or you risk washing off the spray tan! With the rapid tan option you will rinse in 1-4 hours (determined at your consultation) but full color still takes 9-12 hours to fully develop and color for both will continue to darken over the next 24 hours.
- How long will the tan last?
Anywhere from 4-9+ days. It will depend on your level of activity ( sports etc) and how well you take care of the tan. For best results it is recommended that you use aftercare products as they were formulated specifically to work well with the sunless tan. A spray tan is affecting the outer layer of the skin. Anything that you do to exfoliate will result in a quicker fading
- What should I wear after getting spray tanned?
Wear something loose afterwards and preferably dark color. Tight clothes will ruin the spray tan! Some acceptable clothes are:
• Loose sweat pants
• Loose t shirt or tank top
• Loose shorts
• Flip flops
Unacceptable clothes are:
• Yoga Pants
• Tight spandex tops or bottoms
• Clothes with elastic waist bands
• Closed shoes or boots
- What spray tan solution do you use?
I use Perfect Glow Sunless- by Melissa Weinberg™ my own product line that I have personally created and is the choice of products used in countless salons and spas worldwide including the luxurious Nspa in the Delray beach Marriott.
My spray tan solutions are quick drying, odorless, non tacky and no orange! They are formulated with the purest grade of DHA ( EcoCert from France) and loaded with top ingredients and botanicals such as :
- Jojoba Oil -This powerful anti-aging property is non greasy and the texture is similar to the natural oil produced by human body and can effectively act as skin moisturizer. Easily absorbed by the skin it will result in supple and soft skin.
- Glycerin -Vegetable derived to aid in skin hydration
- Chamomile – Contains antioxidants that help protect the skin from free radical damage. Helps to calm and sooth the skin.
- Pure coconut oil- This is truly an amazing ingredient for maximum skin hydration. Coconut oil is often praised for its many health benefits including its healing and antibacterial properties. Coconut oil is a powerful moisturizer that is beneficial to restoring dry or flaking skin. Also helps to strengthen skin tissue more deeply and eliminate dead skin cells while absorbing quickly into your skin. Containing the antioxidant Vitamin E, known to protect skin cells from damage over time and help to soothes eczema, sunburn and psoriasis.
- Moroccan Argan oil- This natural Anti-Oxidant contains exceptionally high levels of essential fatty acids, including linoleic acid (omega-6), which protect and repair the skin. These fatty acids also stimulate intracellular oxygenation, helping to restore the vital balance of water and fats in the hydro lipid film of the skin. Argan oil helps to prevent the occurrence of wrinkles and stretch marks, soothes skin irritations and reduces scars.
- Caffeine- Very Beneficial for dehydrating fat cells.Tightens the skin making it appear smoother and firmer.
- White and Green Tea Extract- Proven as a highly effective antioxidant. Contains calming properties to sooth & nourish the skin. Also beneficial for repairing the damage of UV rays and revitalizes the skin..
- Cucumber extract (Cucumis Sativus) A wonderful antioxidant and very soothing to the skin. Cucumber also contains a number of minerals that are beneficial by aiding in the tightening of collagen. Cucumber’s nourishing, astringent and hydrating properties aid in the positive skin and health-promoting benefits it provides to the skin.
- Exclusive nourishing Perfect Glow cocktail of vitamins A,E&C for healthy skin.
*If you have any allergies please let me know so I can use the proper solution for your safety*
- What are things that will ruin the tan?
You must wait the proper time to rinse. Do not get wet or sweat until you rinse off
Rain will ruin a tan. make sure you bring an umbrella to your session if it is rainy.
Tight clothes- You can not wear anything tight until your initial rinse off
Hot tubs- This will remove your sunless tan
Pools and Ocean- Swimming can fade the tan so if you have water sports planned it is crucial that you use our Tan extender to replenish your color afterwards.
Massages- Avoid messages in the days after your spray tan session.
Pedicures- Avoid after getting your spray tan. (Polish change is ok) but no soaking.
When getting out of the shower blot your skin dry, do not rub.
Refrain from soaking in baths.
Avoid any waxing
No skin to skin contact until you rinse off
Any anti-aging or acne products can cause the tan to fade
Bug sprays can cause the tan to fade.
- What products will make my tan last longer?
It is crucial that you follow proper post tan care. You are responsible for doing the right things to get the best results from your spray tan session. Refrain from bar soaps (especially Dove) and moisturize a minimum of 2x a day and drink a lot of water.
Soaps and many body lotions contain SLS and drying alcohols that will strip and fade the tan. Using cheap drugstore products can cause blotching and bad fading.
I offer amazing aftercare products that I formulated specifically to work well with the sunless tan. They are organic based and PETA vegan and cruelty free.
We offer superior products such as a silky creamer cleanser will hydrate your skin but gentle enough to protect your sunless tan. Regular soaps and cleansers with SLS can strip your skin of natural oils causing dryness as well ruining your sunless tan. This is great to use for shaving as well!
This light weight non greasy formula absorbs into the skin without any sticky feel. This quick moisture treat is infused with pure Coconut, Argan & Almond oil to nourish and restore moisture to your skin. Chock full of anti-oxidants such as algae extracts and apple stem cell extracts this luxury body lotion will give you amazingly soft skin. PETA vegan and cruelty free approved.
- What is the difference between the rapid and regular tan?
There is no difference between color and longevity. One you have to leave on for 8 hours and the rapid you will rinse off between 1-4 hours based on the darkness you are looking to achieve.
Both color takes same time to fully develop but with the rapid tan option you have the convenience of being able to rinse off quicker and not have to sleep in your tan if getting sprayed later in the day.
- If I normally sunburn can I still spray tan?
Yes! I personally have always burned in the sun and take wonderful to sunless tanning. You would be sprayed with a natural looking color. *Please note that the sunless tan does not contain sunscreen and that you can still burn on top of a spray tan so please use sunscreen
- If I am pregnant can I spray tan?
I have had many pregnant clients. However it is your responsibility to contact your doctor for permission. Although the active ingredient is FDA approved we can not make the determination if it is safe for your particular situation. You will need to get doctor permission to spray tan.
- What about allergies?
The spray tan solution does have food based ingredients. If you have any allergies at all please notify me prior to your session. As always I do offer a complimentary patch test to see how you will react to the product.